Examples of home remedies to soften stools include:
- Abdominal massage. Sometimes a stomach massage can help stimulate the bowels if they’re not moving enough to help stool digest more quickly.
- Drink more water.
- Eat more fiber.
- Avoid empty-calorie, low-fiber foods.
How can I pass a hard stool fast?
Quick ways to make yourself poop
- Take a fiber supplement.
- Eat a serving of high-fiber food.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Take a laxative stimulant.
- Take an osmotic.
- Try a lubricant laxative.
- Use a stool softener.
- Try an enema.
What can I eat to soften my stool?
Foods that soften the stool include:
- Vegetables – green beans, spinach, red capsicum, members of the cabbage family (cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts which can cause increased wind/gas production)
- Fruit – fresh apricots, peaches, plums, grapes, prunes.
- High Fibre Cereals – bran, multigrain breads and cereals.
What causes hard stool?
Hard, dry stools are the result of the colon absorbing too much water. When the colon’s muscle contractions are slow or sluggish, the stool moves through the colon too slowly, resulting in too much water being absorbed. Some of the most common causes of constipation include the following: Medications.
Will stool softener soften existing stool?
Stool softeners are gentle medications with a relatively mild effect. They soften the stool, making it easier to pass. Over-the-counter stool softeners are useful when a person experiences mild occasional or chronic constipation.